Girlguiding Making a Difference Fund

Girlguiding Making a Difference Fund

For Young Members

This fund is NOT for group applications but for applying on behalf of individual ‘girls’. The Leader of a Unit or an Adult member of Girlguiding Midlands can apply to the fund on behalf of an individual (5 to 26 years old) who they feel would not be able to participate in or take a Leadership role for a future event without help and would therefore benefit from financial assistance. 

For Active Adult Members

This fund is NOT for group applications but is for a Commissioner to apply on behalf of an individual ‘Active’ Adult member. This fund is available when all other options in the County have been addressed.

Young Members - Full Criteria details

Young Members - Application Form

Adult Members - Full Criteria Details

Adult Members - Application Form

Easy Fundraising

Many units, Districts, Divisions and special guiding projects have benefited from signing on to Why not try this for your unit or project, ask friends and family to join in and help you. It’s so eas:

How it works helps charities, schools, Guides, community groups, and other good causes to raise money when their supporters shop online.

It works in a similar way to many other loyalty shopping sites, but instead of earning points when you shop, you raise a donation for your cause instead.

You can shop with over 2,000 well known stores and each willdonate up to 15% of what you spend. For example, John Lewis will donate 1%, Amazon 2.5%, The Body Shop 6%, some insurance retailers will even donate up to £30 simply for taking out a policy with them!

The great thing is it won't cost you anything, plus we've got lots ofvoucher codes and special discounts so you can actually save money while you help your good cause. There is no cost for the good cause either – our service is totally free.

How to generate donations

It's very simple - once you've registered with us, when you shop with one of our retailers, our system makes a note of your purchase, collects the donation from the retailer and passes it to your chosen good cause. That's it! No hassle for you, we do all the hard work while you shop as you normally would.

Support a Cause

  • Click on ‘Find a cause’ and select the cause you wish to support. 
  • Fill out the quick form to register your details. 
  • Find the retailer you want to shop with. 
  • Click to visit the retailer, then shop as you normally would. 
  • Your donation will be shown in your easyfundraising account within 30 days.

Register a cause: i.e. your Guide Unit

Fill out the cause registration form including contact details and where we can send the money you raise!

We'll need to do a few important checks at our end to make sure your cause is genuine (sorry but we have to ask!).

As soon as we're happy you can start raising funds through your own shopping plus we’ll give you all the tools you need to let your potential supporters know about us.

We send cheques out each quarter so once you've raised £15 or more, we'll send your first cheque! If you don't quite raise £15, it's rolled over to the next month. You can also choose to be paid via JustGiving, if you have an account with them. Extracted from:

Gift Aid

Gift Aid is a government scheme to encourage people to give to charity. Under the scheme, money given to charities -including Girlguiding subscriptions - is eligible for tax relief.

You can work out the amount of tax you can reclaim by dividing the amount donated through subscriptions by four. This means that for every £1 donated, you can claim an extra 25 pence so by applying for a Gift Aid number you can increase your unit funds.

To register your unit or to make a declaration, please click here to download the following documents:

  • Gift Aid Registration Form
  • Gift Aid Certificate
  • Gift Aid Information Pack
If at first the form seems complicated, contact one of your guiding colleagues in your District or Division for help. If you don’t claim this money then it will stay in the government’s bank account!

New Unit Grant

How to apply

The Starting a New Unit Grant provides funding of up to £500 to assist new units. This money can be used to purchase initial equipment and stationery, and to cover essential start-up costs within the first few weeks of operation. Whether your unit needs money to pay for a deposit for a venue for unit meetings, or need a new leader’s uniform, the Starting a New Unit Grant can help.

Grant Criteria

The Starting a New Unit Grant is available for all new units and any unit that has been inactive for more than a year and is being reopened. Before submitting your application please ensure that:

  • The new unit is registered on Go! as an active unit
  • Member details, including those who are waiting to join, are added under the new unit on Go!
  • You must apply for the grant within 90 days of your units formed date

Please ensure all details are up to date on Go! Units with incomplete details, or details that differ to what has been stated in the application form cannot be processed.

Please complete the application form using the grant guidelines and in consultation with your Commissioner.

If you have any questions about the grant, please contact Membership Support Services on 020 7834 6242 or email

Applications for the grant should be emailed or posted to the Girlguiding Midlands Office. 


Nights Away Challenge

The Nights Away Challenge is for all members who experience time away, whether it’s in a tent, boat or hostel.

The badges are for Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Senior Section members and even adults! The only criteria is to complete the recognised number of nights at recognised guiding events, e.g. a camp, sleepover, holiday or an international trip.

There are badges for 1,5,10,15,25,50,75 and 100 nights! You can wear your badge on your uniform or put it on your camp blanket.

Who can take part on the ‘Nights Away Scheme?

All members of Girlguiding Midlands, this includes Rainbows, Brownies, Guides, Senior Section, Adults and Trefoil Guild.

What Counts as a Night Away?

One night (or more) spent on a recognised guiding event.  This could include: Sleepovers, holidays, camps, boating holidays, bivouacs, international trips, youth hostelling, Duke of Edinburgh Expeditions/Explorations, Service crew weekends… in fact, anything that is approved in the Guiding Manual.

How do I record my Nights Away? 

By completing the Nights Away record card.  

Who can sign my record card?

For members under 18, the Leader at the residential event can sign to confirm the number of nights at that particular event.  For over 18’s, another member of staff can sign.

Can I backdate my Nights away?

Nights Away can be backdated to 1 January 2011.

If I’ve already passed a certain Nights Away Badge, can I order that too?

Yes you can order all your back nights Away Badges if you want to, from 1 night up to your current number.  However you will have to pay for these extra badges yourselves at £1 each, as your unit will only issue you with your latest achieved badge.

Where can the badge be worn?

Girls can wear the badge as part of their uniform; when they reach the next Nights Away Badge they remove the old one and replace with their newly issued one.  Past badges can be sewn onto their camp blankets or alternatively badges can be sewn directly onto camp blankets.

After I gain a badge, do my Nights Away reset to zero?

No, your Nights Away accumulate, so keep your record card up to date! Your record card will move with you when you change sections (e.g. move from Rainbows to Brownies) or units.

Do Nights Away count if they are part of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme?

Yes but only if you are registered as a Duke of Edinburgh Award candidate through Guiding, and you are mentored by your Leader or County D of E Adviser.  You will be attending your D of E expedition nights as a Senior Section member so your Nights Away Count!  However, if you are registered as a candidate through your school or another organisation, and you are completing your scheme through them, then the nights away do not count.

How do I order my badge(s)?

Girls, once you have reached each number of nights away, show your record card to your unit leader and she will order you a badge.

Leaders – Send a completed Badge Order Form along with a cheque for £1 per badge to The Girlguiding Midlands Region Office.

Download the order form

Download the record card

Four Seasons Camping Challenge

Camp in all four seasons and get great badges from Girlguiding Midlands!

What sections is it open to?

Brownie age upwards.

Can it be an indoor camp?

No, to obtain a badge you must spend one night out of doors in that season.

  • Spring – March, April, May
  • Summer – June, July, August
  • Autumn – September, October, November
  • Winter – December, January, February

If the camp crosses two seasons can this go towards two badges?


How long do you have to complete this challenge?

It will be ongoing.

Can it be carried over from Brownies to Guides etc?


How do I obtain a badge?

The Leader can order badges from the Girlguiding Midlands office using the badge order form, available to download below.

Download the order form

Download the record card

Can it be backdated?

The commencement date is from 1 March 2012.

Nights Away Badge Order Form

Nights Away Record Card

Four Seasons Badge Order Form

Four Seasons Record Card

The Chief Commissioner’s Award

This award may be given to any member of Girlguiding Midlands, who has given outstanding service to local Guiding at Unit level. Any other roles held by the nominee are not relevant to this award.

Recommendations for this award may be made by anyone within or outside Guiding.

The nominee’s appointing Commissioner and County Commissioner must sign the application form.

Nominations must be selected by the County Awards Committee or by the County Commissioner in the absence of a Committee.

Application forms may be obtained from County Commissioners or the web site, and returned to Girlguiding Midlands Headquarters by the closing date on the form.

Invitations to attend an Award Presentation will be sent to the successful nominees from Girlguiding Midlands Headquarters.

Note: Nominations must be received at Girlguiding Midlands by 31st August 2017. Each County has an allocated number of awards depending on the total amount of adult members in its County. 

The date for the presentation in 2017 will be confirmed shortly. 

Chief Commissioner Awards Application Form 2017